Whacked With a Humble Stick

Every once in a while I go back and read blog posts, comments, diary pages, emails, etc., that I’ve written over the past four or five years. Okay, even the past year.

It is an incredibly embarrassing, aggravating, insightful, and ultimately humbling experience.

“I believe this about true Christian courtship.” WHACK! “I heard God’s voice in my head.” WHACK! “I’ve learned how to be perfectly content.” WHACK! “Homeschoolers are better than any other people.” WHACK WHACK!!

Oh dear , the things I really thought for sure I knew! How smart I thought I was. How confident I was in things I truly was just dipping my toes into. And oh, how much I have learned in such a short time!

There are a lot of things I wish I could erase, because I simply don’t think the same now, or what I wrote was done in a hasty flurry of emotion and what seemed right at the time. But I wouldn’t be a very good writer if I did that. Embarrassment, ridicule, the questioning of our true motives and values…it’s the price one pays for speaking one’s mind.

People change, for better or worse. We grow and learn. And the more we talk about our opinions, likes, dislikes, convictions, beliefs and feelings, the more we are likely to be humbled by them at a later point in time. Our words will come back to bite us if we don’t watch out.

So forgive me when I seem to contradict myself as the years go by. Its not that I am floating around with every wind of doctrine. Its only that I am learning, growing, becoming. And from time to time, I am just plain WRONG.

Thank goodness that Humble Stick isn’t too hard.

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top